We know this one is tough. It’s so easy to do when you’ve had a crazy busy day and before you know it, it’s 7PM, you’ve skipped lunch, and still have to take the kids to soccer. You feel like your only options are a McDonald’s burger or a wrap from somewhere “healthy”. Our goal is to help you figure out what to do in these situations. We’ve all been there- so we decided we needed to help everyone. So we wanted to create a little list of healthy foods you can have packed and ready for you daily. We also added a few that are super easy to prep during your normal Sunday Meal Prep!
Go-To Healthy Snacks
Now, these definitely aren’t the only Disturbing Comfort healthy snacks but these are our favorites. You want to stay high in protein and low in fat and carbs. This will keep you feel fuller for longer when you are in a bind.
- Cheese – This option is perfect to attack those impulsive eating moments. It’s high in protein and most cheeses are low in fat. DC Favorites: Mozzarella and Feta
- Hard Boiled Eggs – Another great high protein option for you. Add a little salt and pepper and it’s the perfect easy snack. Just be sure to prep them in advance!
- Nut Butters – Whether you prefer almond, cashew, or peanut butter, this is a great healthy snack. Maybe even pair it with the celery we have listed below!
- Protein Bar – Ok, we know this one is a given. We LOVE Quest bars because they are moderate in carbs and sugar- but still taste delicious. Grab a box at the store and keep them in your desk at work. They have the perfect flavors to tame those sugar cravings throughout the day.
- Protein Shake – This one was also a given, but we had to remind you just in case! Pick your favorite Pescience flavor and keep it at work or in your car! (“JEREMY” to save!)
- Tuna – We know this isn’t a favorite for many, but it is really easy! Those little packs they sell at the store are perfect when you’re in a bind and hungry. They have a lot of good flavors too that make it easy to forget you’re eating healthy!
- Raw Vegetables – Broccoli, carrots, celery, pick your fav! Many of us crave chips and the crunch that raw veggies give can help you fight that impulse!
- Nuts – Just pick your favorite but hold the salt! A great protein choice with a small amount of health fat. Be sure to portion accordingly, they do tend to be calorically dense!
- Water – A gallon a day! The more you drink, the more full you feel. A simple and easy fix to keep you feeling full.
Add these go-to snacks to your grocery list NOW- seriously, don’t wait. Grab enough to keep some at your house, in your car and at work- this way you’re ready whenever those munchies hit. We personally think it’s easier to prep the snacks all at once when you prep your normal meals. This way you don’t forget the day of when you’re running out the door. Get some plastic ware and plastic bags and then write the day of the week on each one that way you know you’ve packed enough! These simple tricks will help you in the long run. It’s not easy to get into this routine, but it will be so worth it!